Join Our Team!
Who are we?
Matchbook Learning is a national non-profit school management organization that is reinventing public education to meet each student where they are. Our schools utilize a competency-based, student-centered, and blended model of instructional design and delivery, with a unique combination of coaching and professional development, technology ecosystem, school culture, and school community. We meet teachers where they are and help them to learn and grow along their career paths. Our innovative, award winning blended turnaround school model is the first of its kind in the nation to be offered to schools with the highest poverty rates and needs.
Matchbook Learning focuses on a blended, competency-based model for struggling schools seeking to deliver a radically different result with students of high-need communities. Our history has been with failing public schools in the challenged and yet hopeful communities of Detroit and Newark. We currently manage Merit Prep Charter School and Michigan Technical Academy.
We have three successive phases to realize our vision to create a sustainable, scalable turnaround solution for our nation's public schools. Contact us to learn more about each of these strategies.
The Matchbook Methodology
Matchbook is building solutions to turn around failing schools. Using a strategic model, we give educators the tools they need to transform their learning environments and put their students and their schools on the path to success. We serve as the Charter Management Organization, working with troubled schools and changing the culture and the learning model under our own control. We provide virtually the same tools through direct and indirect partnerships, using our Matchbook Accelerator model.
What are we looking for?
Matchbook Learning is looking for a Turnaround School Principal candidate who has an innovative, coachable, courageous, and growth mindset. In addition to their mindset, we are looking for someone with a background in leadership in a turnaround school and one who has the ability to perform at a high level in each of our Principal Performance Areas below.
Principal Performance Areas
- Instructional Leadership: The principal fosters the success of all students by facilitating the development, communication, implementation, and evaluation of a shared vision of teaching and learning based on the established Matchbook Learning vision, instructional model, and goals that leads to student academic growth, teacher and staff growth, as well as overall school improvement.
- School Culture & Climate: The principal fosters the success of all students and staff by developing, advocating, and sustaining an academically rigorous, positive, supportive, and safe school climate for all stakeholders.
- Talent Development: The principal fosters effective human capital management by assisting with selection and induction of staff members as well as by supporting and encouraging professional growth for all staff members, along with evaluating, and retaining quality instructional and support personnel. The principal supports and encourages growth for all personnel in line with Matchbook’s leadership philosophy that the higher the level of leadership, the higher the level of servitude.
- Organizational Management: The principal fosters the success of all students and staff by supporting, managing, and overseeing the school’s organization, operation, and use of resources.
- Communication and Community Relations: The principal fosters the success of all students and staff by regularly communicating and collaborating effectively and in a timely manner with all stakeholders.
- Professionalism: The principal fosters the success of all students and staff by demonstrating professional standards and ethics, engaging in continuous professional learning, and contributing to the profession.
- Student Growth: The principal’s leadership results orientation across all metrics of the school culture, academics, culture, etc.
- Parent and Community Advocacy: The principal’s leadership will result in building solid relationships within the community and parental advocacy.
What do you need to have?
- 4-5 years Principal experience working with urban schools, high poverty, ethnically diverse student populations, and turnaround situations preferred.
- Master's degree required in education, teacher leadership; or Education Leadership
- K–12 Administrative Certificate or equivalent is required
- The school is based in Indianapolis and preference will be given to local candidates
What do we provide?
- Weekly one-on-one coaching from our Chief Design Officer
- A dedicated central and back-office team to support the school's financial, operational, HR, technology and marketing needs
- The opportunity to develop as a professional along the 7 dimensions of Baldridge and earn digital badges in the areas of leadership, strategy, customer focus, knowledge management, workforce management, process and operations and results orientation.
- Participate in Matchbook Learning's emerging Accelerator and train future Principals in our unique, award-winning blended, personalized, competency-based turnaround methodology
- Impact the numerous cities and States across the country through our Accelerator and our unique Spark platform
- A competitive salary and benefits package
- Attractive relocation packages
- The opportunity to work at a Matchbook Learning flagship Accelerator school in Indiana
What do we want?
A proven school turnaround leader who is highly coachable and willing to learn how to lead a new innovative model and methodology to help shape and influence our nation’s public education trajectory. We intend for MBL to be a proving ground for what is possible in the field of personalized learning as we believe the country is seeking a sustainable, scalable turnaround school solution and personalized learning when done with excellence can provide such. We want a Principal ready for the challenge and opportunity of a five year mission to turnaround a failing school and to do say in such a way that it can impact the entire city of Indianapolis by sharing their success with other failing schools via our Accelerator.
How do I apply!
To apply, submit a resume and cover letter here: http://www.matchbooklearning.com/careers. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.